Wednesday 4 April 2018

Easter in writer's block form

Hello!  The dreaded writer's block strikes.

Normally I sit down and the words kind of fall out as though we were sitting together over a cup of coffee.  I chat about this and that and crack bad jokes and even worse puns.

Today I keep deleting and rearranging and I can't get it right - I just want to talk about our easter long weekend.  But everything I write comes out sounding trite and annoying and uninteresting.

I might make do with a dot-point list until the words decide they want to behave.

So this was easter, in dot point form:

  • On Friday we started the day with an easter egg hunt.  
  • B had somehow never realised that the egg hunt is usually on the Sunday so he got J all excited to hunt for eggs on Friday.
  • That afternoon we headed up to B's dad's bach (that's a holiday house for those of you unfamiliar with the NZ lingo).







  • The girls threw pebbles in the water.
  • B obsessed over all the flounder he could see right there.
  • I took photos.
  • It felt really special that we were making our girls' childhood memories.
  • We stayed the night.
  • J was so excited to be sleeping in a big-girl bed that all afternoon we kept finding her lying in there with a big smile on her face.
  • B and I walked down to watch the sunset.
  • J fell out of bed in the middle of the night.














  • The next morning we took the girls for a very brief spin up the river on Poppa's boat.
  • Poppa and B (sounds like a hipster eatery) then went fishing.
  • I took the kids to play in the playground of B's old primary school.
  • The girls and I went home after lunch, by which time A was making it pretty clear that she was done with the beach.  
  • B got home, with kilos of fish, just in time for the girls' dinner.
  • I'm glad we went but it was hard work with A especially.



  • On Sunday morning we had a big breakfast at our place with B's mum and sisters, followed by the second egg hunt of the weekend.  
  • J was a bit perplexed but no less enthusiastic that the easter bunny had come back for another round.







  • Once everyone had gone home and the girls were in bed for what turned out to be an epic nap, I turned over the vegetable garden for the autumn/winter crops. 



  • The tomato plants are grimly hanging on.
  • My leeks will hopefully continue to flourish.
  • Everything else was well and truly finished.  
  • While I'm happy about the change in seasons, pulling out all those tired/dead plants did cause me to reflect.  We ate a lot from the garden this summer.
    • The kale and the silverbeet which I ran out of ideas and enthusiasm for after just a few meals
    • the zucchini which hated its shady spot and never really fruited
    • the peas which J ate by the fistful straight from the vine
    • the butter beans which were so disappointing
    • the triffidesque pumpkins which are now drying in the shed
    • the carrots which we really should have thinned out but which were no less prolific
    • and the rhubarb which exhausted me with its abundance. 



  • I tossed plants and weeds over the fence.
  • The chooks purred around my feet.
  • B buried fish guts and bones to replenish the soil (and can I just say, pee-yooo).
It was a great weekend, filled with all the good things.  

Sorry, I really have nothing in the tank today!

Hope you had a good one too x







No comments:

Post a Comment