Monday 18 September 2017

Trees and flowers, knitting, and so forth

Not to be completely unoriginal or anything, but I cannot believe how the weeks whip by.  Suddenly it's Sunday night Monday morning again.


We've had a reasonably quiet week, just the usual schedule of child-related activities, although I did get to have my hair seen to and my eyebrows groomed all within the one week which is making me feel very polished.  I might even put on some make up.  Well... maybe.  Ok.  Probably not.

The garden continues to spring (get it!!) anew, bringing me no end of delight.  More trees and flowers, I'm afraid, my friends.  Brace yourselves.

You'll have to excuse the patchy lawn - you may recall that we dug out the delightful fishpond/garden bed, and the new grass is taking a while to come through.

How adorable are bluebells?  They're everywhere here


Did I mention that we have cows again?  We have cows again



There are so many beautiful spring bulbs scattered randomly through the garden beds (interspersed with a good amount of onion weed).  I want to dig them up and rearrange them for maximum enjoyment.  We have some stunning freesias but they're tucked down the side of the house where we can't see or smell them.  What a waste!




I bought a packet of forget-me-not seeds the other day and only then noticed that they're already popping up everywhere in the garden and the paddocks.


The plum trees keep on giving, and now the blossoms are starting to fall like confetti.  I hope we get a good crop of fruit.  Apparently one of them is a damson plum from which you can make gin!  It'd be rude not to!


As you may or may not already know, a few years ago I taught myself to crochet by watching many Youtube videos.  I had originally attempted knitting but found it too hard and when I switched to crochet it felt much more natural for me.

I just realised that this is possibly the most boring story ever.

Anyway,  I decided to have another go at knitting this week and guess what!  It's not so hard for me anymore!  I think crochet got me familiar with the general ideas that also apply to knitting so now I'm off and away on my first knitting project.  In my experience, knitting is a far more useful skill because there are only so many crocheted blankets and beanies that people need.  But being able to knit cardigans, dresses, jumpers, etc will actually be quite handy.

Can you believe these curls?
A major event this coming week is A's first birthday.  She's turning one at last already.  She is so stinking cute these days, you guys.  She still doesn't sleep terribly well but (touch wood) I think we're leaving those cranky baby days behind us at last.  Crawling has definitely helped.  Boy is she proud of herself crawling around the house and popping her big noggin around the door to find me.

Speaking of that big noggin, she had her first check up with the baby nurse the other week and finally got weighed and measured for the first time in about six months.  Decidedly average for height and weight.  Head circumference?  97th percentile.

Her confidence with the crawling has grown so that all lower drawers are now being opened and investigated, and the TV remotes will be on the kitchen bench for the time being.  There's also plenty of bumped head incidents and getting oneself wedged in various unlikely spots, requiring cuddles before she's determinedly off again.


She and J have started to discover how much fun they can have together and while there is always the odd scrap (in which A can most definitely hold her own), it's very rewarding to see them playing together.


Even if it does mean that A jams her fingers in the cat flap approximately 17 times in 10 minutes.

Last bit of news, we had a very lively thunderstorm last night which gave the house a good shake, and apparently the Wind Wand and the chimney at the port got hit by lightning!  I can report that the poor cows here were certainly freaking out.  Poor cows.

Got any news for me?  Can you knit?  Been struck by lightning?






4 comments:

  1. The garden is picking up a notch here too and I'm very excited. Only one thing for the freesias is to pick them and then dig em up and move them! Your girls are just lovely. Happy bday A! My how time flies. News here: determining an exit strategy for this Bub this morning with the doc!! 🙈💣👊😬 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right re the freesias - once all the bulbs die back I won't have a clue what's what. Hopefully they can withstand the shock! I keep thinking of you and hoping for news. You're being very philosophical about the whole thing, I'm impressed!! Good luck xx

      Delete
  2. Have you discovered Raverly? This website had heaps of free knitting and crochet patterns. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I discovered Ravelry when I started crochet. I hadn't even thought to look for knitting patterns. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete