Tuesday 6 February 2018

My mother, my birthday, and things to do in Taranaki

As I write this, a plane is winging its way to Auckland with my mum onboard.  We've just had the most blissful two weeks together.

I had a big blub at the airport as we said goodbye and now I'm stuffing my face with leftover birthday schnitzel and potato bake.  And a can of coke.

Speaking of my birthday (I turned 37, and no I don't mind you asking), I had exactly the day I wanted.  My favourite part was in the evening, little girls in bed, everyone else in the kitchen helping to prepare the food.  Cooking, chopping, stirring, laughing, drinking, ducking around each other, and talking all the while.

I was wishing I'd taken some photos of the joyful chaos but actually now I think it was better to just live in it instead of always trying to capture it.  I might forget the specifics but I won't soon forget that feeling of utter contentment.  And then eating the food we'd all prepared, and second helpings, followed by the failed pavlova the most fabulous - I refuse to say scrumptious - Eton mess.

But what have we been doing for the past two weeks, you ask?  Lots of eating, lots of talking, plenty of driving around, and a good amount of sightseeing.

Mum, being the person she is, also weeded the vegetable garden (with one enthusiastic helper), and did load after load of washing.  She helped prepare dinner every night.



We read books.





One night, once the girls were in bed, she and I went to Pukekura Park to visit the Festival of Lights, which is free to all.













We visited the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, also known as the Len Lye Centre, which was truly stunning.  And also free.


There were three fascinating exhibitions when we visited, but even the building itself was worth the visit.


We also saw the Maori history exhibit at Puke Ariki, the museum, which was absorbing and seriously depressing all rolled into one.  And - you guessed it - free.

Not pictured, we went to Pukeiti, which is a rhododendron garden on the slopes of Mount Taranaki, which is free.  We also visited Brooklands Zoo, which is free.  We went up the mountain, free.

We went out for coffee.  Not free, but worth every cent.


We all put on several kilos.



We experienced the full range of Taranaki weather from stifling heat (well, we thought it was hot.  Mum came from Adelaide where it was 45C so she kept her jumper on all day) and humidity, to driving rain, lashing wind, and a number of beautiful cool sunny days.


We shopped in town sans children which was a revelation, and I feel happy every time I glance out the window to see my new hanging basket.


On my birthday we attempted to go up the mountain since it was one of those stunning crystal clear days I mentioned.  Unfortunately everyone else had had the same idea and we were turned back as the carpark was full.

So instead we went to Lake Mangamahoe, which was completely breathtaking anyway.





In case you can't guess, it's been a wonderful two weeks (actually only 12 days).  I can't believe it was only two weeks (12 days) ago that the girls and I raced down to the airport before breakfast that wet morning to pick Mum up.

>sob<








7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 🎶The best things in life are free... or at least the price of a cup of coffee 😉 Happy Birthday, sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome 12 days! There are so many awesome free things all over the place - often simple things, but leaving us all happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite things about NZ (or Taranaki at least), especially after Perth, is how much is available to do for free!

      Delete
  4. A lovely visit! Happy birthday! Julie aka nursebean

    ReplyDelete