Monday 9 March 2020

Starting school

Since this isn't actually a running blog but in fact a blog of my life, we're going to break with the running posts for a moment so I can make a record of my big girl starting school last week.


I think I've mentioned here before that she was extremely excited and extremely ready.

The reality is, of course, often different from the expectation, and she has found it hard. Just about every morning for the past week and a half she's told me that she doesn't want to go to school. The night before her first day she told me she had changed her mind and didn't want to start school until next year, actually.

We've talked a lot about how it's normal and natural to feel nervous and scared, that everyone no matter how confident they seem, feels that way when doing something new. I reminded her how scared she was starting kindy and look at her now!

She's not a person who loves change (who does, I suppose?) and school is a huge change from the very free atmosphere of the kindy she was lucky enough to attend.

It hadn't been all struggle at school though. I asked her last week if she'd met anyone new at school. "I've made dozens of friends," came the reply. She loves reading her readers, and getting stickers on her bucket (the school's rewards system).

She's been dying to learn to read, and seeing it start to click for her is as exciting for me as it is for her. I'm not so bothered by the learning though, that will come one way or another. I don't care if she learns nothing this year except to love learning, and to love school.

After all, she's only got thirteen years left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment