Monday 28 March 2022

Isolation notes








I'm sitting here watching the wind try to tear the washing off the clothesline.

We've been in isolation for the past week after B tested positive for covid last Monday night. We had been dreading that moment, but when it came we were actually excited. Well, I was. B was a shadow of himself, flat and tired and short of breath.  He slept most of Tuesday, and barely remembers that day at all.

I was secretly thrilled to see the two lines appear on the test. It's been a long school term, and I'd been yearning for a bit of a break from the hamster wheel. A week off from life was exactly what I wanted. And of course the girls were incandescent with joy at the thought.

It's been wonderful. And let me acknowledge right here the privilege in that fact. We are not worried about money, we have a pantry full of food, we are warm and safe and have been overwhelmed with help and support from friends and family. We are lucky, and I know that.

Honestly, I wish we didn't have to go back to the real world. Our world here at home, just us four, is perfect for me.

There's a jigsaw puzzle on the dining table (a lockdown tradition by now) which we all take turns to pause at and pore over.

B has taught the girls how to make friendship bracelets, and now J walks everywhere with embroidery floss pinned to the knee of her pants.

We've played card games ending in helpless laughter.

I've knitted a whole sleeve on A's pink cardigan. I should have got both sleeves finished really but alternating rounds of knit and purl are boring and tedious. Another pattern I probably won't revisit.

We've baked bread, of course.

A has learned how to swing herself at last, and now spends ages out there, one of the rare times she ever plays alone.

And, perhaps my favourite part, we eat every meal together. I haven't felt harassed by the thought of dinner, there's plenty of time to think about what we'll have and to get it ready in time. 

The only two things I've missed are barista coffee and being able to just nip to the shops for something we need.

We all, including B, tested negative yesterday evening so it's time to rejoin the world. Bugger it.

No comments:

Post a Comment