Tuesday 12 June 2018

Frost, knitting, and headache-inducing things

Having just come back from a swimming lesson with A, I'm going to go right ahead here and say that the true sacrifice of parenting isn't loss of sleep, or body autonomy, or lifestyle, but getting out of the pool on an 11 degree day and dressing your child first.

Just saying.



In related news, we had our first frost on the last day of May.  It's definitely less of a novelty to me than it was last winter, but I still nipped outside in my jammies to take a couple of photos.



Seeing the sun rise on the mountain will always be a novelty and a thrill.


It's been a while since I updated you on my knitting!  If this is the most boring topic imaginable to you, you might want to skip the next little bit...

The project I was working on had ground to a complete halt waiting for the needles to be restocked at my local knitting shop.  Then finally I got the needles and promptly snapped one as soon as I went to wind it onto the cable.  But things are now ticking along and I'm only a couple of inches from the end.

I cast on this little cardigan thinking I needed a nice quick project but it's turned out to be one of my longest, and most challenging.  I had to learn to knit from a chart and had many, I'll say it again, many struggles with the lacework.  I got there in the end and I now feel very confident reading a chart but man.  Did I get furious with myself there for a while.


Then it came time to do the sleeves and I'd heard about this so-called "magic loop" method which meant no double-pointed needles.  So me being me of course I had to have a go at that.  I don't actually mind DPNs too much, but this pattern has lacework around the cuffs and lace on DPNs is definitely up there in the headache-inducing stakes, for me anyway.  Magic loop took some getting used to but it most certainly is easier than double points and especially easier to do lace on a magic loop.

So those are two new knitting skills I can tick off - charts and magic loop.  And the best part is that I will not have to sew up a single seam on this garment.  Insert muppet arms here.

Next up, because I do still need a quick and easy project, I'm making a beanie for J.  But because once again I am still me it'll also be my first Fair Isle/stranded colour work project.

Will report back with photos if all goes to plan.  And only if I ever finish the cardigan.  I've made a very strict rule that I am NOT to start the beanie until the cardi is blocked, buttoned and handed over to the recipient.


Big news this week is that J had her first ever sleepover away from both me and B.  She slept at B's mum's place on Saturday night and by all accounts had a ball.  Fish and chips for dinner, big splashy bath, then snuggled up for the night in her very own big girl's bed.

I, however, was totally bereft, looking into her dark little room here at home and even hoping a bit that B's mum would ring to say J was upset and needed to come home.  I know.  What is my DEAL.  This is entirely not the mother I expected to be.



Other, more annoying, news is that apparently we are going to do toilet training again.  Yes, you're right, we did do it six months ago.  It did go really smoothly.  I might have even been a bit smug.  But at some point that I can't remember exactly she put a nappy on, and ended up back in nappies full time.  That has been the case for months now.  I've let it go on so long because I was - WAS - a believer in going with the flow, letting her set the pace, etc etc.  

But... this is pretty rubbish you guys.  We really have to do it all again??  Does this stuff happen to anyone else?  Why does no one tell you these stories?  So I am telling you: go with the flow, but not too much.  Let them set the pace, unless the pace is so slow that it is in fact backwards.  Unless you enjoy the process of toilet training so much that you want to do it more than once.

The sticker chart is back up on the fridge.  The undies are on the bum.  We're on day three.  Wish me luck.

I'll leave you now with some peaceful autumn/winter scenes around the farm.  



There's not many things cuter than a fat little lamb.  The knock-knees get me every time.














No comments:

Post a Comment