Wednesday 6 June 2018

Mrs Woog's Potato Bake

I don't know about you, but generally speaking I'm a sharer.

Admire my ring?  Here, try it on!
Compliment me on my jeans?  Here's where I got them!
Enjoy my cooking?  Let me give you the recipe!



I've never really understood the point of guarding your best recipes, and keeping them a secret.  Why can't we just know all the herbs and spices, KFC?  Share and share alike I say!

As you might have guessed, this is actually leading somewhere which is to tell you that I have the best and only potato bake recipe you will ever need.

I found it years ago from the ever-reliable Mrs Woog (funny name, very funny woman).  And just to be clear, yes, I did get her permission to share it.

Prior to this my potato bakes were pretty unreliable.  Hard uncooked potato, bland, too runny, too dry, too fiddly to make.

So many recipes tried and failed the test.  I just wanted a good simple potato bake.  Finally I gave this one a go and instantly it became the only potato bake recipe I use.  It gets a rave review every single time.  It's basically impossible to stuff it up.

Got your pen ready?



Ingredients
8 large potatoes
600ml cream
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp chicken stock powder
1 cup tasty cheese, grated

Method
Preheat oven to 200C.

Grease a large casserole dish.  Slice the potatoes to approx 0.5cm thick rounds, and arrange in dish in layers, seasoning with salt and pepper every couple of layers.  I don't bother to peel the potatoes because I like the skin and am also lazy, but you do whatever you prefer.

Add the crushed garlic and the stock powder into the tub of cream and shake to combine.  Pour over potatoes.  Season the top with salt and pepper, and dot with butter.  Honestly I often forget to do the butter.  Let's say it's optional.

Cover potato bake with foil - I usually add a layer of baking paper underneath to prevent sticking - and bake covered for one hour.  Remove foil and baking paper, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for a further 10 minutes.

You're welcome!

Oh, and I also recommend putting the casserole dish onto a baking tray before putting it in the oven.  I've had overflow issues before and no amount of potato bake can compensate you for having to scrub molten cheese off the bottom of the oven.



Are you a recipe sharer or do you prefer to keep the goodness to yourself?  Didn't your parents teach you to share?  Just kidding!







No comments:

Post a Comment