Sunday 7 May 2017

The Seaside Market

We've had a fairly productive week around here.  B is almost finished (or maybe he is finished, I can't remember) getting the electric fencing in order which means a) some stock at last and b) new levels of vigilance required to keep J from electrocuting herself.  Fun!

We'll be getting some cattle in first of all just to eat the grass down.  Then I think there'll be some sheep to keep in the orchard and in the house paddock.  Chickens, of course.  Ponies, DUH.  Ok ponies are probably a long way off but if I keep saying it maybe I will manifest it to be true.

As I write this I'm stuffing my gob with cheese scones which our neighbour M just dropped off to me, still hot from the oven.  This morning I accidentally woke her up as I was delivering an apple and feijoa crumble which I'd made to say thanks for the brownies she'd made last week.  If this keeps up I'll be the size of a house.  And, let's face it, pretty darn happy.

Speaking of darn happy, the cat is seriously pleased with the new living arrangements.  He spends his days stalking through the grass feeling like a jungle panther.  That is until the neighbour's chickens come stalking through the grass from the other direction and they're a bit too big and scary.  Far better to find a decent perch up off the ground and imagine how he'd whip those chickens into line, just if he could be bothered.



J is 90% sure there are fairies in our garden and I tend to agree with her.  Wouldn't you live here if you were a fairy?


B's next project is to move some fences around.  We've all been having a great fun in the afternoons out there as a family kicking through the undergrowth.  This pear tree (below) is the most amazing climbing tree, even if it is in danger of tearing itself apart.




I just love the late afternoon light here as it slants through the trees.  The house is positioned so the sun tracks across the living room and warms our bedrooms in the late afternoon.


 Most mornings now I step out of the house quite early and go for a walk around with my camera.  It's cool and quiet with just the birds and the occasional rooster crowing.  I can smell the smoke from the chimney and I usually have J scampering around with me, thrilled to be out in the fresh air.



I really love it here.  I love being outside of town, I love watching J (and, to a lesser extent, A) exploring and playing and observing.



We've got two big camellias on the verge of bursting into flower and I almost can't stand the suspense!

This morning we headed into town to check out the Seaside Market in New Plymouth.  I remember writing it on the calendar when we were still living in Perth and it felt quite surreal.


Unfortunately a few of these photos are overexposed.  My excuse is that I was juggling the camera, a coffee, and a certain chubby baby who was strapped to my front.  Also, I forgot to change my camera settings and also did not check the shots after I took them.  And, I have no editing software to fix them.




The markets were quite good.  I'd mistakenly expected that it was a farmers' market but it was much more of a craft market with the standard crafty stalls - wood carvings, kids' jackets made out of old blankets, macarons, spicy sauces, and ready made terrariums (terraria?).

The foods on offer were all pretty great, especially the Hungarian bread puffs.  I have no idea what they are except FREAKING DELICIOUS.  See exhibit A below.  Kind of a cross between a beignet, bruschetta, and a donut.






So that about wraps it up.  Hopefully next time I write there will be photos of cows in between the mountain and garden shots.  Got to mix it up, right?

2 comments:

  1. I can't read your blog anymore, I am so jealous of your new life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sorry!! I really am loving life. But don't forget I have a baby getting me up multiple times every night. It's not all roses (thank goodness, right?)

      Delete