Saturday 5 August 2017

Winter flowers and bullet journalling

There's a great view of the mountain we get sometimes when the peak is obscured by cloud.  I keep taking photos because it looks so cool in real life but it (once again) just doesn't translate to film.  See Exhibit A below.  On another note, do you think those people are getting sick of me taking photos of their house?


 I've been waiting almost since we moved in to this house for the camellias to bloom.  I never realised they start so late?!  Meanwhile the daffodils are definitely flowering now.  Even the ones I planted on the very last day that the packets recommended are coming up and the first one has now flowered.  They came in mixed packets of 25 so I'm looking forward to seeing all the different varieties we've got.  I also scattered some windflowers along the same fence but they've been slower to emerge.  Fingers crossed.


There's a modest handful of jonquils flowering in one of the garden beds by the house.



And the drifts of frilly yellow daffodils out in the paddock doing their thing.




We've got three different types of camellia so far - this big pink one out by the wood shed....


This very simple white one in the front garden...


And this deep red almost rose-like ones by the roadside.



We've taken cuttings of all of them with a view to a camellia hedge in the future.  I especially love the  neatness and symmetry of the red ones.  I wish I knew the names!


With such a profusion of blooms, I took my basket out and picked as many as I could reach.  It made me feel very grown up and accomplished picking and then arranging flowers from my own garden.  And there are heaps more!  Anytime I want!  For free!



The other thing I'm loving is proof that the sun is most definitely shifting southwards.  It now shines in the window and warms my feet when I'm (inevitably) at the computer desk in the early afternoon.


Lastly, before I go, have you guys heard of bullet journalling?  As usual I'm very late to this party but I find the idea quite appealing.  Aside from this blog, I also write in a journal about the girls' milestones and parts of my life that might be on my mind but don't need to be broadcast to all and sundry.  The problem with my current journal is that details get lost in the pages and pages of scribble.  It's also hard to capture everything I want to record longhand.

I like the idea of being able to index topics, as well as record briefly the things that have happened that day, not to mention keeping a calendar/diary all in the same book.  At the moment I save our old wall calendars because they record so many events that I want to remember.  Bullet journaling would save me from eventually appearing on Hoarders: Buried Alive when my tottering collection of calendars threatens to squash us all.

Not sure why you would care that I may or may not ponce around writing a bullet journal that you won't see but... yeah.


Oh!  And this really is the last bit of news.  I think.  B and I are back on the 5:2 bandwagon.  We had a break while, you know, moving internationally when willpower and motivation was at an all-time low, but it's time to return to the fold.  It is seriously the easiest thing to do for your health.  Just don't eat for two days of the week!  So our first fast day will be this Monday.  I'm quite looking forward to it.  Remind me of that at 2pm on Monday.  Ok good.  Thanks.







2 comments:

  1. I have been keeping a bullet journal for the past three months and it is making me get stuff done. I am not one who makes it all fancy, I just jot down what I need to do for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I read how it works, I knew it was for me! I had so much fun today setting it all up. Finally assembling all my scraps of paper and lists in my phone into one place!!

      Delete